In the Parish of Eccleston, St Mary the Virgin we take care to look after all members of the church in particular the safeguarding of our children, young people and vulnerable adults. We follow the policies and procedures for safeguarding of the House of Bishops and the Diocese. Our parish policy is enshrined in the Blackburn Diocese policy document which can be found in our bookcase by following this link. An updated Parish Handbook has been issued by the Blackburn Diocese which is currently being reveiewed by the PCC and the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Our policy is endorsed at each Annual Parochial Church Meeting in the spring.
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures .
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser(DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties. • Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed periodically.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Protection Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
For those in the Parish working with children, young people or vulnerable adults detailed guidance will soon be available here. In the meantime please contact the PSO, Garry Fishwick at email@example.com
Anybody who has concerns, allegations or safeguarding queries should contact the PSO . If he is not available please contact a member of the clergy. For very serious concerns which require immediate action please phone the police.
Any concerns or allegations should be confidential so please do not discuss with others before reporting.
Please remember that
SAFEGUARDING IS EVERYBODY’S RESPONSIBILITY
· To safeguard others and yourself
· To raise concerns
Childline Children and young people 0808 11 11 www.childline.org.uk
NSPCC Children and young people 0808 800 5000 www.nscpcc.org.uk
Men’s Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 801 0327
National Domestic Violence helpline 0808 2000 247
Adults Affected by Sexual Abuse
If you would prefer to speak to somebody outside the church
NAPAC National Association for People Abused in Childhood
0800 085 3330 (free from landlines, 3, Orange and Virgin mobiles) or
0808 801 0331(free from O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone mobiles)
MIND www.mind.org.uk Chorley 01257 231660 firstname.lastname@example.org